Impromptu Lunch at Ichiban

Sorry for slacking lately but I've been struck down with tonsilitis and sadly my appetite has taken a bit of a knock. So while I recuperate and feel sorry for myself I'll let you savour over last weekend's feast...

Ichiban, set amongst the hustle and bustle of Cowbridge Road East, has been a favourite place of mine for nearly a year now. I know I need little excuse to go out and eat but having friends down is the perfect one.

The interior itself is small, with booths lining one wall, tables the other and with the bar at the far end, and decorated with views of Mount Fuji and Japanese prints. It was lunchtime so no need to book, but this is recommended during the evening. There is a set lunchtime menu for £6.99, but the standard menu is also available with 20% off between 12 - 2 pm (they close again at 3pm).

My default option is usually the Tekka Don - Sashimi Tuna laid atop a bowl of sushi rice and nori, served with the standard wasabi (watch out - they are generous!) and soy sauce as well as a small bowl of Miso soup with bean curd. It is fresh, cleansing and thoroughly nourishing. One of our party ordered it and despite not being a fan of nori, thought it was wonderful. Today I fancied a change and opted for the chicken option on the set menu (apologies for forgetting the name - it was all in Japanese and I was succumbing to the onset of the virus) - a huge bowl of ramen noodle soup with slices of chicken and egg amongst the noodles and spinach was much larger than I had anticipated, though very welcome and wonderfully flavoured. This was served with Chicken Gyoza dumplings, deep fried and crispy on the outside, yet soft and wonderfully mousse like once you bit into them. Topped off with a small green salad to refresh the palate and a cup of the most delicious green tea I have ever tasted in my life (maybe I don't get out much but sometimes they can taste slightly bitter) this was good food for the soul. Not realising how huge the ramen soup was going to be, I had foolishly ordered an extra portion of Spicy Tuna Nori - again wonderfully fresh fish, with a decent hit of chilli and the saltiness of the nori was just what I needed. It was so good I actually finished the lot - but I am fairly greedy on times - the Salmon set meal ordered my by friend (a small bowl of ramen noodles, Teriyaki Salmon, Calafornia rolls and green tea) actually beat him!

My partner, always keen to try new things, ordered the Sashimi salad and Deep Fried Cuttlefish Tentacles, much to the mild horror of our friends! The salad is possibly the prettiest thing on the menu - salmon, tuna, shrimp, prawns and various other seafood sit proud and pink atop a fresh green salad and the whole thing topped off with orange roe. It was so pretty I think we actually cooed at it when it arrived. The cuttlefish wasn't as ghastly as we thought, with the tempura batter crisp but not greasy and the fish very similar to squid, but perhaps, my partner conceded, a little more chewy.

Vegetarians, vegans and those squeamish about raw fish are catered for and with a take out service, and other restaurants in Roath and Cardiff Bay, there is no excuse not to try it!

Comments

Unknown said…
Your blogs always makes me hungry... a compliment, surely!

Have you ever been to Tenkaichi, along City Road? The salmon teriyaki bento there is looovely!
Yeh everyone seems to have grumbling tummies after reading my stuff - a definite compliment!

Not been to Tenkaichi but I think Andy has fond memories of it.

Alas I fear my attempts at sushi making will not be quite so fab :(

Popular Posts